William Buckland

Browse by Category

The penetrating eyes of architect William Buckland reveal a confident and capable professional who is at ease in his surroundings. In front of him lie the plans for Hammond-Harwood House and behind him is St.Martin- in- the Fields in London, referring back to his British roots and admiration for architect James Gibbs (1682-1754). When the artist Charles Willson Peale (1741-1827) began this painting in 1774, Buckland had started work on the Hammond-Harwood House for his client Matthias Hammond (1748-1786).

Unfortunately, this would be Buckland’s final work before his untimely death in late fall of the same year. The painting remained unfinished for thirteen years until Charles Willson Peale completed it as a gift for Buckland’s daughter, Sarah Buckland Callahan, and her husband John Callahan, a cousin of Peale. The original hangs at Yale University Art Gallery. This fine copy was made by Winifred Gordon (1907-1996), a gifted artist and one of the founders of the Hammond-Harwood House Association. Gordon also made a copy for Gunston Hall, William Buckland’s first commission in the American colonies.

Annapolis Maryland c.1947
After Charles Willson Peale, American (1741-1827) c. 1774, reworked 1789
Artist: Winifred Gordon, American, (1907-1996)
Medium: Oil on Canvas
Hammond-Harwood House Collection.
Donated by the artist Winifred Gordon, P12.

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 in , by Hammond-Harwood House

 

 

Hammond-Harwood House

The mission of the Hammond-Harwood House Association is to preserve, for public education and enjoyment, the architecturally significant Hammond-Harwood House museum and its collection of fine and decorative arts.
Scroll to Top